Telework loans are available to Virginians with disabilities requiring credit financing for computers and other equipment, including adaptive equipment and / or modifications to their home that will enable them to have an employment outcome working from their home, at a telework center if available, or eliminating a barrier to employment. Telework loans are available at a low interest rate with longer terms to eligible borrowers. Your credit history will be evaluated and submitting an application does not guarantee approval.
Individuals applying for a Telework loan must demonstrate they are purchasing equipment to enable them to work from their home or remove a barrier to employment. Loans cannot be obtained for business operating costs. A well researched, workable business plan for a particular type of business must be submitted along with the application for consideration of a Telework loan. If you need assistance with a business plan, please contact your local Small Business Administration or a microenterprise organization in your area.
What equipment is eligible under this program? Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Computers, printers and related peripherals
- Fax machines and scanners
- Office machines (e.g., calculators)
- Telecommunication devices
- Office furniture
- Home modifications to create accessible home offices
- Assistive technology that enables an individual with a disability to work more independently or productively
The cost of training needed to use the equipment properly, maintenance agreements and extended warranties for the equipment, as well as maintenance and repair expenses for the equipment may be included in a Telework loan.
General Conditions for Consideration of Telework Loans
A telework loan may be approved for a Virginia resident with a disability to either (a) increase income through telework, (b) initiate telework to avoid losing income through a loss of or reduction in employment or self-employment, or (c) to begin working at home because it is easier to accommodate their disabling condition. A telework loan meets these criteria if the equipment to be purchased with the loan will assist the individual with a disability to do at least one of the following:
- Begin telework for an employer when the individual was previously unemployed (must provide written job offer from employer on employer’s letterhead);
- Increase income in an existing job through telework;
- Remain employed at his/her current level, and prevent job loss or a reduction in earnings, through telework;
- Begin working at home to accommodate their disability, whether income is increased, stays constant or decreases; or
- Initiate or expand self-employment
For more information on Telework loans, please contact the ATLFA toll-free at  835-5976.
*Please do not submit your applications to the ATLFA via email because the applications are not encrypted and there is a risk for personal information to be obtained by others.